Re: China Airlines Jumbo

From:         h andrew chuang <chuang_hsin@ae.ge.com>
Date:         23 Nov 93 00:02:35 PST

| >A China Airlines jumbo [normally refers to a Boeing 747, it seems to
| >have an extended upper deck], on a flight from Taipei *overshot the
| >runway* at Hong Kong as it cam into land and plunged into the harbour.
|
| It was a 747-400, only four months old, operating CI 605 from Taipei
| with 296 passengers and crew.  The aircraft came in during a heavy
| rainstorm associated with Tropical Storm Ira.  From the reports I've
| seen it's not clear if the plane touched down late or skidded on the
| wet runway or both, but it stopped just past the end of the runway so
| it obviously didn't miss by too wide a mark.

The pilot tried to stop the plane by swerving the airplane, that's why the
airplane was facing the runway instead of away from the runway.  One of the
reports that I read in a Chinese newspaper suggested that the pilot did not
engage the engine thrust reverser, but it has yet been confirmed.  The
black box and recorder have been sent to the UK, the British officials
claimed that they would share the data with Taiwan in one-week time.

| >If there is any word of the extraction of this plane from said
| >harbour, I would be interested to hear about it...
|
| The local bomb sqaud used explosives to blow off the tail on Sunday
| morning as it was obstructing traffic.  Despite early reports that the
| aircraft suffered only minimal damage, which would be consistent with
| the minimal incursion into the water, the insurance company apparently
| wrote it off as a total loss.  Seems odd for a brand new aircraft.

According to one report, they decided to write the airplane off because
being in the sea water, the engines as well as much of the elctronics and
wirings were severely damaged.  Moreover, there was concern about corrosions
caused by the sea water.

P.S. Isn't it "interesting" that accidents always occur in "bunches".  Last
     year, two Airbuses crashed in Kathmandu, Nepal 63 days apart.
     Coincidentally, within the last two months, three airplanes overshot
     the runways in rainy weather, and two of them were B747-400's, but
     only the A320 crash was fatal!