TCAS distracted 727 crew

From:         Stephen L Nicoud <stephen.nicoud@boeing.com>
Date:         22 Nov 93 15:41:15 PST

------- Forwarded Message -------

November 19, 1993

WASHINGTON POST - The captain of a Continental Airlines
727 that almost crash-landed with its wheels retracted in
Chicago on Tuesday said heavy traffic and constant collision
warnings distracted the crew from its normal duties, the
National Transportation Safety Board reported yesterday.
Continental flight 1543 from Houston was within 50 feet of
the runway when the three crew members realized that the
landing gear was not down, officials said.  The tail bumped
the runway and was damaged as the plane rose successfully.
The captain's testimony to a safety board investigator is
certain to fuel an ongoing dispute over the Tactical
Collision Avoidance System, designed to warn one plane that
another is approaching on a possible collision course.

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <stephen.nicoud@Boeing.Com>      bcstec!bcsaic!stephen.nicoud
This message does not represent the views of Boeing.  I am not a Boeing