Flights start for 777's P&W engine

From:         Stephen L Nicoud <stephen.nicoud@boeing.com>
Date:         15 Nov 93 12:23:34 PST

I compiled this from various public releases.

Friday, November 12, 1993

Flights start for 777's P&W engine

  Pratt & Whitney and the Boeing Commercial Airplane Group successfully
completed the first test flight of the developmental Pratt & Whitney
PW4084 engine Tuesday.

  The engine, being developed for the new Boeing 777 twinjet, completed
a two-hour, three-minute flight test on an historic testbed: the first
Boeing 747 ever built.  Mounted at the inboard position on the left
wing, the new engine joined the 747's three Pratt & Whitney JT9D-7A
powerplants.

  Tuesday's flight was the first in a series of flights scheduled for
November, during which the complete 777 propulsion system will undergo
developmental testing to uncover and resolve any remaining issues
involving the engine and its connection to the airframe.

  The series of flights will total more than 30 hours to evaluate the
full propulsion system, engine nacelle and engine build unit items.
During the tests, Pratt and Boeing engineers will study the propulsion
system in a real flight environment and validate date gathered over
several months of simulated altitude testing at the U.S. Air force
Arnold Engineering Development Center.

  These flight tests will profile the propulsion system's overall
operation through all aspects of the flight envelope -- takeoff, climb,
acceleration, deceleration, inflight starts and landing.

  Developmental flight testing does not involve the production engines.
It is a program designed to uncover and resolve any remaining
developmental issues involving the engine and the interface of the
engine with the airframe.  The production engines will be part of the
most comprehensive Boeing flight-test program ever, beginning in June
1994.

  The PW 4084 engine has been selected by launch customers United
Airlines and All Nippon Airways to power their 777 twinjets.

  The engine will be certified at 84,000 pounds of takeoff thrust, has a
112-inch diameter fan, weighs 14,000 pounds and is 191.7 inches long.

  By comparison, the three PW JT9D-7A engines on the 747 testbed have a
fan diameter of 96 inches.

  The JT9D-7As produce 46,250 pounds of thrust each, with 8,880 pounds
apiece and are 154.2 inches long.

  In addition to the Pratt & Whitney engines, the 777 also is available
with GE90 engines built by General Electric and the Rolls-Royce Trent
800-series engines.  Boeing, 777 airline customers and the respective
engine makers have worked in teams to assure the highest level of safety
and a service-ready introduction in May 1995.

Stephen
--
Stephen L Nicoud  <stephen.nicoud@Boeing.Com>      bcstec!bcsaic!stephen.nicoud
This message does not represent the views of Boeing.  I am not a Boeing