Re: 757 Boarding

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         10 Nov 93 00:02:38 PST

>the gate agent asked for our co-operation because,
>as she said, the 757 is an awkward plane to board.

I've heard them say that on occasion.  With that long, thin tube, it
really can be a pain to board a full flight.  On the other hand, I
don't remember there being much problem with the DC-8s and they were
about the same, plus they always boarded at the front.

>This was the first time I had been on a 757 boarding at the front
>door (United boards 757s at the middle door in Toronto)

I've never seen United board or unload a 757 at the front in nearly
two dozen such flights, not to mention all of them that I've noticed
at the airports that I didn't happen to be on.  Delta and American do
use the first door, though, at least in my experience.

Perhaps it was an odd gate -- do you remember which one it was?
United also uses the second door on DC-10s, which is nice because you
turn left for first class and right for economy.  The only exception
is one gate at Denver (B16, I think) where they use the first door ON
THE RIGHT.  That really makes a mess as it confuses the hell out of
everyone.  I've never seen a jet load on the right elsewhere.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls