Re: 777 ETOPS certification

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         10 Nov 93 00:02:34 PST

In article <airliners.1993.714@ohare.Chicago.COM> drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
>In article <airliners.1993.710@ohare.chicago.com>,
>Jay Vassos-Libove <libove@tom.alf.dec.com> wrote:
>
>>Boeing's first fly-by-wire plane? Really?  I had thought that
>>the 757 and 767, and the newest 747-400 models, were also
>>fly-by-wire.  Or are they just more "glass cockpit" than
>>prior planes, but not actually fly-by-wire?
>
>747, 757 and 767 are conventionally controlled.  Mostly.  The 757 does have
>fly-by-wire spoilers.  You are probably thinking of the glass cockpits and
>the extensive automation of systems.

This is an interesting point, and brings up the usual flow of conversation
with A320 pilots:

"How do you like the FBW?"
"I love it!"
"Why?"
"Well, the ADI's incredible, and I LOVE the map display."

:-)

A LOT of pilots are entering the A320 from conventional aircraft, like the
737 or 727, and have never seen glass or FMS's before.  They think that
the glass is part of FBW.  I always take this into account when processing
"love it" comments; they'd probably be just as happy on a 757.

This confusion is aided by the fact that "FBW" isn't really a closely
defined term.  A lot of pilots seem to think that it refers to "electronic
management," which includes the flight control system and flight management
system.

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org