Re: 2 engines vs 4 engines planes

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         30 Oct 93 22:33:41 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.674@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
|> Over the Pacific is another matter.  Quite a few folks who wouldn't
|> object to vehemently to a twin over the North Atlantic would not even
|> consider a twin over the Pacific.

The Air NZ/Qantas sectors from Honolulu to the West Coast are flights
I would avoid, though both airlines have excellent safety records.
Polynesian Airlines has a flight non-stop Los Angeles to Apia, Western
Samoa, which is quite some distance beyond Honolulu.  I would imagine
that at some points you must be at least an hour and half away from even
a very marginal alternate such as Christmas Island or Fanning, or Palmyra
or some similar unoccupied atoll with an old (but huge) WWII strip.

And then there is Air Nauru, that flies a 737 on a routing Tarawa-Christmas
Island-Honolulu.  Tarawa-Christmas Island is, I think, about 4 hours over
some of the emptiest ocean in the world.  The FAA wouldn't let them start
this service until they built(!) an alternate on one of the other Line Islands
(Christmas is one of this group).

I suppose that on the bright side, weather is usually pretty good in the
Central Pacific, except during hurricanes, and you generally know it when those
are around.

RNA