Thrust reversers, Caravelle (nonexistent)

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         30 Oct 93 22:33:38 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.663@ohare.Chicago.COM>, drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard) writes:
|> I can't imagine anyone using tire spin-up as an activation criterion for
|> autospoiler or thrust reverser operation.  Too much attention is paid to
|> the icy runway scenario (which is one reason that thrust reversers are
|> included even on the 737 where there is some concern about their
|> cost/benefit ratio).

One airliner that (in certain models at least) had no thrust reversers
was the Caravelle.  I was on a flight Goteborg to Stockholm in the
winter of 73/74 where they were so worried about the Caravelle sliding
down and off the end of the runway (ice) that they told us they might
deploy the parachute in the tailcone of the airplane.  They didn't have
to, which at the time disappointed me mightily (I was all of 9 years old).

RNA