Re: 2 engines vs 4 engines planes

From:         acm@SkyNet.GUN.de (Dietmar Hanke)
Date:         22 Oct 93 01:05:28 PDT
Followups:    1 2 3 4

From: acm@SkyNet.GUN.de (Dietmar Hanke)
Newsgroups: sci.aeronautics.airliners
Subject: 2 engines vs 4 engines planes
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 93 18:53:29 CET

I have recognized that more and more aircrafts used for transatlantic
flights just have 2 engines, like the B-767, B-757, A300 ...
What happens if one of the 2 engines of a B-767 fails somewhere over the
atlantic? Which distance can this jet still fly by just using one engine.

Is it possible to fly a B-747 when 2 of the 4 engines failed? Was it even
possible when both engines on one wing woudn't work anymore?

I allways prefer a flight on a B-747 when I have to get from Frankfurt to
New York if there were also 2 engine jets on that route. Would you think
the same way?

Thanx for a response to my questions.