Re: Other Lockheed commercial passenger jets than the L1011 ?

From:         rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft)
Date:         22 Oct 93 01:05:16 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.658@ohare.Chicago.COM>, kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
|> In article <airliners.1993.656@ohare.Chicago.COM> rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:>One other major reason why the L1011 was a commercial failure:  The bankruptcy

|> >At least one airline had to get DC10s as a stop gap to cover prior [L1011]
|> >orders, and of course that made it harder to get subsequent orders.
|> >(The airline in question was Delta...).
|>
|> You just nullified your own argument -- Delta went on to acquire the
|> largest L-1011 fleet in the world, buying them right up to the end of
|> production and, in the used market, beyond.  It's pretty hard to see
|> how their five short-term DC-10s affected subsequent orders!

I'm quite aware of how big an L1011 operator Delta turned out to be.
What I meant is that this discouraged other airlines from picking the
L1011.  Imagine how embarrassing it was for Lockheed to have Delta
flying DC10s on routes that it bought the L1011 for.  I'd have loved
to have been a McD-D salesman at that time.

RNA