Re: Other Lockheed commercial passenger jets than the L1011 ?

From:         jebright@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu (James R Ebright)
Date:         19 Oct 93 12:49:44 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.649@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
[...]
>The L-1011 feel victim to the murderous competition with the DC-10,
>which drove Lockheed from the market commercial market after costing
>many hundreds of millions of dollars.  It's not clear that McDonnell
>Douglas did all that much better with the DC-10 -- many of their
>current problems are at least partly tracable to the competition with
>the L-1011.

>Furthermore, their battle paved the way for Airbus to
>enter the market.

I don't understand the above conclusion.  The widebody market at the
time just wouldn't support three vendors and I am sure all three suffered.
How does this effect the entry of Airbus?

My read on Airbus is, like the Concorde, the Eurogovs were committed to
using taxes to support an entry at almost any cost.  Short term, this
doesn't make much economic sense.  Entering an already over built market
makes even less sense.

Or is the point the three original vendors were so weakened by their
battle that the later entry of Airbus was possible because the two
suvirvors could not commercially raise the resources to compete?
--
 Information farming at...     For addr&phone: finger             A/~~\A
 THE Ohio State University  jebright@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu   ((0  0))____