Re: Lufthansa crash in Warsaw - Preliminary findings

From:         Robert Dorsett <rdd@rascal.ics.utexas.edu>
Date:         19 Oct 93 12:49:37 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.643@ohare.Chicago.COM> rna@leland.Stanford.EDU (Robert Ashcroft) writes:
>In article <29ivkd$7kb@news.cs.tu-berlin.de>, landmark@cs.tu-berlin.de (Torsten Kerschat) writes:
>{A320 crash in Poland)
>
>|> Ok. I thought you know, what problems can arise, when aquaplaning
>|> occurs. The thrust reversal only works, when the wheels are turning !!
>|> This is provided for security reasons ! The thrust reversal should
>|> only available on the ground.
>|> They commission said, aquaplaning can cause that.
>
>That's incredible, if it is true.  Is this a feature of all thrust-reversing
>systems, or something that was built into the A320 fly-by-wire system?
>And if this is unique to the fly-by-wire system, does it take the blame for
>the crash?

The A320 thrust reversers require both air/ground switches (mounted on
the main gear struts) to indicate a "ground" signal, before they may be
unlocked.  The spinning of the wheels is not relevant.  In this respect,
the A320 is like every other airliner in use.

--
Robert Dorsett
Internet: rdd@rascal.ics.utexas.edu