Re: Sonic Boom

From:         sandee@Think.COM (Daan Sandee)
Date:         07 Oct 93 00:54:17 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.618@ohare.Chicago.COM>, carvalho@phoenix.princeton.edu (T A Carvalho) writes:

|> krzystek@carson.u.washington.edu asks:

|> does the sonic boom arise only on passing through the sound barrier,
|> or during the whole supersonic flight?

A well-known misunderstanding. The sonic boom is not caused by the
aircraft "breaking the sound barrier", but occurs anytime it flies at
a speed exceeding Mach 1.

|>  I am also willing to know what is it like having a Concorde at
|> Mach 2 flying over my head 60000ft high.

It's not too bad. I've heard it on occasion, fifty miles off Cape Cod
in the North Atlantic (me being on a boat, I mean). A dull, distant boom,
not likely to cause any damage when overflying populated areas. The
problem is mostly psychological : it upsets people.

Daan Sandee                                           sandee@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation
1010 El Camino Real, Suite 310
Menlo Park, CA 94025                                  (415) 329-9300