Re: Differences between A320's

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         25 Sep 93 12:50:37 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.608@ohare.Chicago.COM> babu@bigwpi.WPI.EDU (V. Gopalakrishnan) writes:
>And then there are the A320s that Indian Airlines has (sorry, don't know the
>official -2xx extension) which have four tyres on each of the main landing
>gear, (supposedly in order to allow the plane to operate from rough airfields)
>while all other versions of the plane I've seen only have two tyres on
>each of the main gear.

Actually, the double bogie gear are used to reduce the pavement loading.
This is useful if one is operating out of older airports which were
designed for propeller driven aircraft.  The A320 (like nearly all
commercial jetliners) has no rough field capability that I'm aware of.

Double bogie gear are an option on the A320, and rarely ordered because of
the weight penalty (I forget how much it is - something over a thousand
pounds I think).

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com