Re: Adavanced Engine Diagnostics

From:         m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer)
Date:         23 Sep 93 10:10:08 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.604@ohare.Chicago.COM> lou@cs.rutgers.edu (Lou Steinberg) writes:

>In article <airliners.1993.597@ohare.Chicago.COM> sidney@cs.concordia.ca (SVORCSEK) writes:

>   We are doing a study into ways of predicting aircraft engine
>   failures in advance.  [...]  I am also interested in failure
>   diagnostic systems

>You might contact Kathy Abbott at NASA in Langley, Virginia (USA).
>Her PhD thesis, for which I was the advisor, was on this latter area.

>  1990: Kathy Abbott: Robust Knowledge-based Diagnosis of Physical
>  Systems in Operation, PhD Thesis, Department of Computer Science,
>  Rutgers University, New Brunswick, NJ 08903

>I believe she has done further work in the area as well.  Her thesis
>should be available from University Microfilms or from the Rutgers
>CS Department.

Yes, further work in this area is continuing.  Although Kathy is now our
Branch Head and has been very busy lately with the High Speed Research
program planning activities, our team leader, Paul Schutte, is about to
begin running subjects in a simulation evaluation of many of the concepts
that had their genesis in our Faultfinder program.

Although he's on travel this week, he checks his email periodically so
you can probably get a message through to him.  Otherwise, he'll be back
here at Langley next week.  His email address is p.c.schutte@larc.nasa.gov.

If you are beginning a research effort in this area, I highly recommend
that you read Kathy's dissertation and some of the reports on other aspects
of the Faultfinder project.  Also, Kim Vicente at the University of Toronto
has done some recent work in diagnosis/prediction, although it wasn't for
aircraft engines (but it should still prove useful).  I can't find his
email address right now, but if you're interested just let me know and I'll
dig it up.

By the way, although we're called NASA Langley Research Center, we're really
in Hampton, Virginia (instead of Langley, Virginia, where the CIA resides!).
If you need more info (or pointers to info), please don't hesitate to
contact me or Paul.

--Mike

Michael T. Palmer
Human/Automation Integration Branch, Flight Management Division
M/S 152, NASA Langley Research Center, Hampton, VA 23681-0001
(804) 864-2044

Michael T. Palmer        | "Freedom suppressed and then regained bites with
m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov |    keener fangs than freedom never endangered."
RIPEM key on server      |                Cicero, 106-43 B.C.