Huge capacity aircraft and accidents

From:         pypbf@csv.warwick.ac.uk (Mr D M Procida)
Date:         23 Sep 93 00:11:31 PDT

Would an airline be able to survive a crash that killed 600 of its
customers? What sort of insurance prospects would an airline with such
aircraft face?

It seems that the sheer quantities involved (of everything- lives, money
etc) would greatly transform the nature of the risks. However, since I must
admit that I don't know a whole lot about the matter, perhaps people said
exactly the same sort of thing during the development of the current large
jets (747, DC10)... I'm quite curious to know about this side of things.

Daniele Procida.