new SST work?

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         02 Sep 93 04:13:12 PDT

>... a PBS broadcast ... mentioned that the Soviets, Boeing, and the
>European consortium are ALL working on new Supersonic Transports...

Douglas is in there too.  The project(s) is (are) generally referred
to as the HSCT (High Speed Civil Transport).  The Pacific rim is the
primary driving market for such a transport, because there is such
an explosive growth in business and hence traffic, and because the
distances are so great.

One key feature of any such plane is sufficient range to fly Tokyo-
New York non-stop, keeping in mind that the distance may be greater
than for a sub-sonic aircraft because of the need to avoid flying
over land areas.  One variable is just what this means -- gaining
authority for supersonic overflight of remote, largely uninhabited
areas of Siberia would significantly shorten the range needed, for
instance.

Another consideration is capacity.  What I've seen is roughly 300
seats, I believe in a more-or-less standard three-class mix.  This
and the range could potentially make such an aircraft financially
feasible to operate.  There undoubtedly are some substantial tech-
nical hurdles to clear first, however.

It's worth noting that the Pacific Rim market is also the turf of
the 650-seat aircraft proposals floating around.  Assuming one (or,
Gods forbid, several) of these projects is actually built, it will
probably fly around the turn of the century.  Technical problems
make it unlikely an HSCT could be flying that soon, but it's not
unreasonable to expect an HSCT within twenty years.  That appears
to put a rather quick cap on the life of the 650-seat behemoth(s),
though the rapidly growly airfreight business may offer a continued
market for these beasts while passenger traffic migrates to HSCT.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls