Re: Was there a 717 ...

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         02 Sep 93 04:13:05 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.581@ohare.Chicago.COM> davels@lsid.hp.com (Dave L_Sherrer) writes:
>Hello -
>
>A friend of mine who is an airplane buff asked me if there ever was a
>Boeing 717. I use to work for Boeing years ago (747/767), but am
>embarrassed to say I don't recall there ever being a 717. So for those of
>you on the net, did this plane ever exist? Did it appear just on the
>drawing board and never made it to production?

I don't think so.  What was to have been the 717 was named the 720 instead
to please the UAL CEO who was purchasing them (UAL was the launch customer
on the 720 I think - am I right Karl?).  He hated too many sevens in the
model number, apparently he felt they were unlucky.  :-)

The 720 was the single aisle version of the 747SP.  I.e., a chopped body
with extra long range performance.  As I understand it, the 720 is quite
different from the 707 structurally.

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com