Re: New MD-80, MD-88 tailcones?

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         25 Aug 93 02:53:32 PDT

Robert Dorsett writes
> > I noticed on a recent trip that some MD-80's (MD-88's, too) have
> >"flattened" tailcones (versus conical ones). (...)
>
> They were installed on all new MD-80 series airliners starting
> in the late 80's, as part of a weight and drag reduction program.

The "flattened" tailcones are usually referred to as `screwdrivers.'
Their design is essentially the same as that of the MD-11's tailcone.
I'm not sure which came first; certainly the MD-80s had them first,
but I vaguely remember a Douglas employee telling me that they were a
result of design work for the MD-11.  I believe their advantage is
primarily lower drag.
All new MD-80s have them (I have somewhere the info on when the
switch was made, if anyone is interested).  In addition, some
airlines have retro-fitted them to older MD-80s.  Alaska is one that
comes to mind.
I wonder if Air Canada's updated DC-9-30s will have them?

--
-
Stefano Pagiola