URGENT: Information please! Aviation Safety Reporting System

From:         Pete Mellor <pm@csr.city.ac.uk>
Date:         06 Aug 93 02:53:45 PDT
Followups:    1 2 3 4

                        INFORMATION REQUIRED ON ASRS
                        ----------------------------

In his book "Normal Accidents", Charles Perrow refers to an autonomous,
no-penalty, Air Safety Reporting System managed by the National Transportation
Safety Board (NTSB) in the US. He cites the existence of this database, and
its use for early detection of design problems.

According to John J. Nance, "Blind Trust" (Quill William Morrow, New York,
1986), p.275, the *Aviation* Safety Reporting System was set up by NASA on
behalf of the FAA in 1975. The FAA guaranteed immunity to any pilot
who filed a report on the ASRS, but NASA could manage the system independently
and additionally guarantee anonymity. Around 1978 the immunity provisions were
substantially restricted, as a result of a campaign for "pilot accountability"
by Administrator Langhorne Bond. Nance believes that it is precisely the
*lack of* an "autonomous, no-penalty" reporting system that is responsible
for the lack of safety information in the US, as compared to the UK, where
the CHIRP system is available. He specifically cites the fact that, although
the tendency of the Boeing 737 to "pitch up/roll off" when taking off under
icing conditions was well known since 1971, and was responsible for the crash
of Palm 90 into the Potomac on 13th January 1982, in the intervening 10 years
not one report of "pitch up/roll off" was filed by US pilots, although many
such incidents were reported from Europe. He speculates that the incidents
did occur, but went unreported since a report could result in the pilot
being disciplined for taking off with the aircraft in an unsafe condition.

Are these two authors talking about the same system?

If so, which one of them is right?

Any other information on ASRS or CHIRP, particularly with authoritative
references, would be more than welcome.

This is not asked out of idle curiosity. The SHIP project is producing a
report which discusses the use of reporting systems for incidents in avionics
and industrial control systems, and we have unearthed these contradictory
statements. Obviously, we want to get our facts right, and we only have today
(and possibly the weekend) to churn out the final draft, hence the urgency.

Many thanks. Please reply direct to me (even if you also post to the list).

Peter Mellor, Centre for Software Reliability, City University, Northampton
Sq., London EC1V 0HB, Tel: +44(0)71-477-8422, JANET: p.mellor@csr.city.ac.uk