Re: BAe ATP performance

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         26 Jul 93 00:32:58 PDT
Followups:    1 2 3

MR DJ LOVEDAY writes
> I have read that the British Aeorospace ATP has been selling
> rather slowly.  I would like to know if there are any reasons
> (other than a depressed market) for the low number of orders of
> these aircraft. The early advertisements suggested that the ATP
> was very fuel efficient which, I would assume, promote higer
> sales volumes of the this type of aircraft.

The ATP has been selling slowly from way before the market became
depressed.  I think the reasons for its lack of success are two-fold:
(1) although the aircraft is reasonably economic, it is too large for
most turbo-prop markets.  60 seats is just too many; the only
aircraft that has done well in this size range is the ATR72, which
has the advantage of commonality with the smaller ATR42.
(2) The BAe marketing team has, over the years, proven remarkably
inept at selling anything.

The two problems are, of course, related to each other: poor market
analysis leads to both poor design choices and poor marketing.
Another example is the BAe 146; BAe originally thought it would sell
primarily on the strength of its small-field performance, to 3rd
world countries.  Instead most of its sales have been on the strength
of its quietness, to developed country airlines.  BAe thought the
small 146-100 would be the most popular model; instead the -100 sold
in very small numbers, with the larger -200 taking most of the
orders; today most orders tend to be for the even larger -300.

These problems are then compounded by the problems inherent in any
low-volume, slow-production program.  (1) you never get very far down
the learning curve (a problem that BAe compounded by opening 2
production lines); and (2) it takes a while for bugs to be sorted out
(which gives you a rep as an unreliable airplane).

--
-
Stefano Pagiola