Landing gear design

From:         drinkard@bcstec.ca.boeing.com (Terrell D. Drinkard)
Date:         17 Jul 93 01:37:13 PDT

Not to long ago, someone asked a question about landing gear design.
Specifically, why some airplanes have those cool, tilted bogies on the
mains.  For those of you who haven't been able to sleep since seeing that
question - relief is in sight.  :-)

Main gear bogies often have (relatively) small springs on them to put them
in the proper position for stowage on retraction.  They are designed to
have that cant for efficient use of the space in the wheelwell, ie, the
wheelwell can be made shorter, allowing more space in the lower hold for
baggage, revenue cargo, ECS stuff, and sundry electronics.

The truly observant will note that the 757s mains have the trailing tires
down, and the 767s have the leading tires down.

Hope that helps.  :-)  If you have any other obscure airplane configuration
questions, don't hesitate to ask - I learn lots tracking this stuff down...

--
Terry
drinkard@bcstec.boeing.com