Re: Info about commercial pilots

From:         m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer)
Date:         15 Jul 93 03:47:11 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.511@ohare.Chicago.COM> kerry@ingres.com (Kerry Kurasaki) writes:
>In article <airliners.1993.504@ohare.Chicago.COM> kosower@nxth02.cern.ch (David Kosower) writes:
>>   How many flights, and how many flight-hours, does a typical pilot for a
>>major scheduled American carrier, fly per year?  Ditto for commuter carriers.
>
>By regulation (FAR 121.xxx) pilots are limited to something like 1000 hours
>a year of commercial flying.  A UA captain in our CAP squadron flies
>something like 80 hours/month (more or less) so the math works out
>pretty well.

Don't forget, though, that "duty time" can be significantly more than this...
it's not unusual to spend as many hours taking care of company business,
getting weather briefings, etc. as you spend flying.

Michael T. Palmer         |  "Freedom lost, and then regained, bites with
m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov  |   keener fangs than freedom never endangered."
RIPEM key on server       |               Cicero, 106-43 B.C.