Re: A340 long distance reord

From:         Mike@oscar.demon.co.uk (Mike Collins)
Date:         15 Jul 93 03:46:59 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.509@ohare.Chicago.COM> rna@leland.Stanford.EDU writes:

>In article <airliners.1993.485@ohare.Chicago.COM> ckd@eff.org (Christopher
> Davis) writes:
>>According to Aviation Week (June 28, 1993, p33), they did, in fact, add
>>supplemental tanks.  "The A340-200, equipped with five additional fuel
>>tanks ...

>What about the publicity flight of the 747-400 from London to Sydney (?).
>Did they use extra tanks on that flight?

I am not sure but I read the other day that they used special fuel to
increase the range (Flight International). Judgeing  from that same item in
FI, I think it was a like for like comparison. The A340 may have had
additional fuel tanks but they are available on the production aircraft.
The A340 also taxied to the takeoff point whereas (according to Flight
International) the 747 was towed to the takeoff point before startup.

* Mike Collins                              "Turn your face to the sun and *
* Mike@oscar.demon.co.uk                     the shadows fall behind you"  *
* Telephone +44817886988                                                   *
*                                                           Maori proverb *