Re: 747-400 mods (was: 737-plus?)

From:         jge@cs.unc.edu (John Eyles)
Date:         08 Jul 93 14:18:32 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.498@ohare.Chicago.COM> kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz) writes:
>Meanwhile, the 747-400 is receiving modifications including a
>redesigned composite dorsal fin fairing and fuel distribution system
>which will allow a 2,000 lb increas in MTOW.  The changes will be
>integrated into new production 747-400s and will be available as a
>retrofit for existing 747-400s.

Can this be for real ?

I know that in the airline industry, weight is money; but can this be worth
the trouble ?

It allows another 10 or so pax, or another ton of fuel.  I assume (maybe
incorrectly) that number of passengers is limited more by seating space
than MTOW, so we're talking another ton of fuel.

I believe these babies consume about 10 tons of fuel an hour at cruise,
so we're talking 6 more minutes of flight or about 50 nm.

How much can this retrofit cost and be worth it ?