Re: McDonnel Douglas warns against carry-on electronic devices

From:         driscoll@src.honeywell.com (Kevin Driscoll)
Date:         13 Jan 93 16:21:50 PST

In article <airliners.1993.36@ohare.Chicago.COM> barr@ash.mmm.ucar.EDU (Keith Barr) writes:

>Wouldn't there be a change in attitude if the autopilot was engaged,
>which it obviously was, and if the navigation equipment was disturbed by RF?

I was thinking that transient jumps in the radio nav would be rejected
when compared to the INS.  But, since the DC-10 is an old analog system,
maybe there is no comparison or filtering of the radio nav and INS as
they go into the autopilot.  There might be just a simple switch that
selects INS for over water and radio nav for land.  In this case, it is
possible (but highly improbable) that a CD player could effect the radio
nav (which is forward and under the cockpit).