Re: Strange 727 Flight

From:         weiss@hurricane.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         24 Jun 93 00:37:43 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.455@ohare.Chicago.COM> davelett@athena.mit.edu (Richard Sun) writes:
>I noticed the plane's attitude
>changed several times from nose-up about 5 degrees to nose down 5 degrees.
>As we landed at BOS, I noticed our speed was very fast.

Well, it sounds like particularly heavy traffic in BOS.  Often what will happen
is planes will be stacked like a wedding cake on approach durring heavy
traffic.  That is, the aircraft will be put in circles, each separated
vertically by 1000' (FAA regs require either 1000' vertical separation or 1
mile horizontal separation at all times).  As each plane at the bottom of the
stack lands, the aircraft above are allowed to descend 1000', and would be
asked to do so quickly.  Consequently, while holding, the attitude would be 5
deg up, and while descending would be 5 deg down.

Adding to this, aircraft would be asked to land quickly when they are at the
bottom of the stack, so a relatively high landing speed would not be unheard
of.  I believe that there were some weather delays on June 13th in the
midsection of the US, from where many connecting flights originate.
Consequently, there would be a higher traffic flow during the late afternoon.
I'm speculating here, but it sounds reasonable.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -