AF Retires 707 970

From:         Scott Jacobson <75706.2201@CompuServe.COM>
Date:         21 Jun 93 14:05:03 PDT

Last week the Air Force retired 707-153B tail number 58-6970 (MSN 17925,
line # 33). This aircraft was delivered to the Air Force in 1958 and was
the first (KC-135s aside) jet transport used by the air force. It has
spent its entire 35 year career at Andrews AFB flying VIP missions,
accumulating some 20,000+ flying hours ( a youngster - fatigue wise).

970 was used briefly by Eisenhower but was never officially "Air Force
One".
Kennedy also used the aircraft at times. By the time Jet power was accepted
for regular presidential travel 707-353B 62-6000 had arrived for duty as
Air Force One and 970 was relegated to flying lesser VIPs.

970 still had a role to play in history. The aircraft was used by Kissinger
while negotiating the end to the vietnam war, Al Haig while trying
to negotiate a peaceful end to the Falklands conflict, and by LBJ when
he flew to Dallas in Nov 63 (LBJ returned to DC aboard 26000 with Kennedys
body). It was the "shuttle" in shuttle diplomacy.

The aircraft will be making a final flight to the Air Force Museum at
Wright Patterson AFB sometime in the near future. I will post the date and
time when I get it.

I don't know exactly why it is being retired as it seems to have plenty of
hours left. I expect the Air Force did not want to try hushkitting/reengining
a 707 subtype that had not already been modified commercially - I could be
wrong..
BTW: Plans are afoot to replace the remaining 707s at Andrews with 767s
sometime before the end of the decade - Funds permiting.

One last note: If anyone out there in netland has any interesting anecdotes
about 970 or any of the other aircraft in the fleet at Andrews I'd like to
hear from you and swap stories......

Scott Jacobson