Re: A ride on an A320

From:         stadler@apple.com (Andy Stadler)
Date:         21 Jun 93 14:04:55 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.450@ohare.Chicago.COM> driscoll@src.honeywell.com
 (Kevin Driscoll) writes:

>>The return flight was also on an A320, but some other lucky fellow got
>>to the jump seat.
>
>Mexicana has only one jump seat?  All A320s I have been in have had two.

I really meant that more figuratively - they already had a guest.

>>four displays were speed, heading, altitude, and vertical speed.  Below
>>each display was a knob.  You could turn each knob to adjust the setting of
>>the display, or you could (pull, push, not sure) it to say "don't care".
>
>The knob operations are:  push to "give" control to the Flight Management
>and Guidance System (FMGS) and pull to "take" control.  The latter
>meaning is that the FCU/"autopilot" is in control versus the FMGS.
>There really isn't a "don't care"; the control stays with whatever the
>last push/pull was.

Operationally, however, I would definitely call it a "don't care".  Obviously
in approach mode it would be different, but for just "flying around" (which
is what we did - a totally manual & VFR approach and landing) the BEHAVIOR
of the system was that if you pushed the knob in (thanks for clarifying that)
what you were saying was "I don't care what you do with this parameter", thus
giving the FCU freedom to alter it as necessary to achieve the "do care"
inputs.

--Andy    stadler@apple.com