Re: McDonnell Douglas warns against carry-on electronic devices

From:         alaw@elaine29.stanford.edu (Alvin Law)
Date:         13 Jan 93 01:30:22 PST

In article <airliners.1993.34@ohare.Chicago.COM> driscoll@src.honeywell.com (Kevin Driscoll) writes:
>>"These devices, says the company, 'include, but are not limited to,'
>>citizen-band radios, cellular telephones, transmitters that remotely
>>control devices such as toys, and portable compact disc players.
>
>Current opinions vary about how much EMI an avionics system is protected
>against, but 200 v/m is a typical number.  One would not expect the
>above devices to produce such levels.

If a CD-player can cause problems, how about laptop/notebook
computers?  I flew back from Hong Kong on a 747-400 two months ago and
saw at least 10 people working/playing on their laptops, and there
seems to be no problem.  At least the plane didn't round up in Russian
airspace.

--
 Some assembly required. Use only as directed.  No other warranty expressed or