Jetstream 31 question

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         16 Jun 93 14:59:28 PDT

Has anybody noticed that Jetstream 31's almost always appear to have
replacement panels on the fuselage in line with the propeller disc?
I had noticed this before, but the frequency of its occurrence was
brought home to me yesterday at SFO, when only one of 12 or so
Jetstream 31s flown in by United Express and American Eagle lacked a
replacement panel.  By contrast, none of the four Brasilias that came
in had such panels (although I remember seeing them occasionally on
Brasilias and other prop types).  A look through my slide collection
confirmed the very high frequency of replacement panels on
Jetstreams, and their existence but lower frequency on other types.

So, two questions:

First, just what exactly causes fuselage damage in line with the prop
disc that force panels to be replaced?  If the actual propeller
blades were coming off, I figure we'd hear about it :-)
Second, why are Jetstream 31s so much more susceptible to this kind
of damage?

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola@frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)