Airbus A300

From:         weiss@crowe.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         03 Jun 93 02:57:58 PDT

I just got back from Houston last night on an Airbus A300, and I thought I
would share some thoughts and questions here.

One of the things I noticed was the aforementioned (in rec.travel.air, I think)
headphone jacks.  These were of the two-jack variety.  I attempted to see if
regular stereo headphones could pick up anything.  Nada.  They (Continental)
sold the typical cheapo plastic tubing types.  No movie for me (not that I
minded).

Unlike other aircraft, the doors of the A300 open like the side doors on a van.
That is, they pop out, and then slide horizontally, rather than popping in and
swinging out on hinges.  Is this common for all Airbuses?  The powered approach
sounds to me like a more convenient, but less reliable method.

The strangest thing I saw was that no trailing edge flap was used on takeoff.
I had never seen another aircraft take off without trailing edge flap.
Granted, the leading edge slats were extended, but this seemed a bit odd to me.
The trailing edge flaps were extended during landing.

The flight from IAH to LAX was shorter than the flight from LAX to IAH.  This
also surprised me, since generally eastbound flights are faster (jet stream).
Does anyone have any idea why this happened this time?  I flew to IAH on an
MD-80 (looked more like it was manufactured when they were still calling them
DC-9 Super 80s), and returned on the Airbus.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -