Re: Aeroflot sighting

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         22 May 93 01:34:40 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.425@ohare.Chicago.COM> you write:
>In a recent swing past Houston Intercontinental Airport (IAH) I saw an
>unfamiliar aircraft with what appeared to be the cyrillic Aeroflot
>markings.   It was sitting in an out-of-the-way area, next to a 727.
>
>It was four-jet, high wing and a tall T-tail with very large horizontal
>stabilizer.  The wing mounted to the fuselage with a decided "shoulder".
>
>Can anyone tell what this is from my shoddy description?

I saw it earlier this week; it's an IL-76 "Candid."  Apparently, it's been
making a cargo run for the past several months.  The vertical stabilizer has
a large Russian flag on it, which makes it look rather military; however,
Aeroflot's on the front, in big letters.

It looks about like a big C-130 with a BAE-146 wing design and an oversized
Russian T-tail. :-)

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org