Re: Mouse grounds 767

From:         brianm@boar.tansu.com.au (Brian Martin)
Date:         21 May 93 03:43:51 PDT

In article 417@ohareChicago.COM, rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>In article <airliners.1993.414@ohareChicago.COM> jacobs@charly.taclog.af.mil writes:
>>The US Department of Agriculture (and probably its British equivalent)
>>frown on stowaway mice arriving aboard airliners from foreign
>>lands. As I recall the fines are pretty stiff and there is also
>>the possibility that the aircraft could be impounded...
>>Better to exterminate the vermin on discovery then to take a chance
>>of having the Feds impound your 70 million dollar airplane for
>>a couple of days!
>
>True, but airplanes can contain a lot of unpleasant critters, especially
>roaches, flies, etc--trying to get rid of all of them is sort of like
>trying to get rid of rats on ships--can't be done, but the magnitude of
>the problem can probably be controlled somewhat.  They tend to board
>via food containers.
>USDA got pretty aggressive about all this around ten years ago; I have
>clear memories of coming in from overseas and, fifteen minutes prior
>to landing, the cabin crew walking through the cabin *gassing* us, emptying
>cans of insecticide into the air.  No, they didn't drop the oxygen
>masks. :-)

Department of Civial Aviation does this insecticide routine on EVERY arriving
international flight here in Australia. How effective it is I don't know,
but it is important to slow down the spread of vermin carried diseases to countries
which may not have a particular disease yet. It's not the mouse or cockroach they
are worried about as such, it's what disease they could be carrying,
& the affects it would have on human & stock populations if it started an epidemic.

Brian Martin brianm@cssc-syd.tansu.com.au