Do DC-9s exhibit a nose-down attitude under power?

From:         morse@mprgate.mpr.ca (Daryl Morse)
Date:         11 Jan 93 16:09:55 PST

I have been told (by someone who had a lengthy career maintaining
large military transport aircraft) that the DC-9 family of airliners
exhibit a nose-down attitude under power. This supposed behaviour is
attributed to the angle at which the engines are (or appear to be)
canted.
  At the outset, I have to admit that I find it somewhat improbable
that an aircraft would have that characteristic built in, at least if
it is pronounced. The inlets do appear to be somewhat higher than the
outlets, but at the same time, the outlets appear to be aimed parallel
to the fuselage.  Is that just an appearance or is it a result of the
nacelle or the engine actually being canted upward at the inlet? Was
that done to place the inlets in less turbulent airflow? Does all of
this result in a tendency to nose-down under power?
  If so:
	Is it a pronounced behaviour?
	Have any "mishaps" ever been attributed to this behaviour?
	Why was the aircraft designed in that manner?
  If not, then disregard above questions.

Thanks.

--
Daryl Morse                     | Voice  : (604) 293-5476
MPR Teltech Ltd. 		| Fax    : (604) 293-5787