Re: Mouse grounds 767

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         20 May 93 02:59:49 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.414@ohareChicago.COM> jacobs@charly.taclog.af.mil writes:
>The US Department of Agriculture (and probably its British equivalent)
>frown on stowaway mice arriving aboard airliners from foreign
>lands. As I recall the fines are pretty stiff and there is also
>the possibility that the aircraft could be impounded...
>
>Better to exterminate the vermin on discovery then to take a chance
>of having the Feds impound your 70 million dollar airplane for
>a couple of days!

True, but airplanes can contain a lot of unpleasant critters, especially
roaches, flies, etc--trying to get rid of all of them is sort of like
trying to get rid of rats on ships--can't be done, but the magnitude of
the problem can probably be controlled somewhat.  They tend to board
via food containers.

USDA got pretty aggressive about all this around ten years ago; I have
clear memories of coming in from overseas and, fifteen minutes prior
to landing, the cabin crew walking through the cabin *gassing* us, emptying
cans of insecticide into the air.  No, they didn't drop the oxygen
masks. :-)

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org