Re: DHL Plane at Newark

From:         kls@ohare.Chicago.COM (Karl Swartz)
Date:         17 May 93 15:01:14 PDT

>Every time I drive past Newark AIrport on the NJ turnpike, I can't
>help noticing a DHL airplane, which looks something like a 727 or an
>L1011. It has been there for at least a year or 2, and occasionally I
>see people milling around it while the doors are open.

Probably a 727 since DHL doesn't have any L-1011s.  Anyway, try
driving past late at night.  Package carriers, such as DHL and Federal
Express, have nocturnal schedules, exactly the opposite of most of the
regular passenger carriers' operations.  Chances are your plane will
have flown off to DHL's hub, with another plane returning early the
next morning.  I don't know about DHL, but Fed Ex has their primary
hub at Memphis and schedules most flights so as to converge there
around midnight, with about four hours for unloading, sorting all the
packages, and reloading.

--
Karl Swartz	|INet	kls@ditka.chicago.com
1-415/854-3409	|UUCP	uunet!decwrl!ditka!kls