Re: McDonnell Douglas warns against carry-on electronic devices

From:         weiss@ada.SEAS.UCLA.EDU (Michael Weiss)
Date:         11 Jan 93 01:38:41 PST

In article <airliners.1993.34@ohare.Chicago.COM> driscoll@src.honeywell.com (Kevin Driscoll) writes:
>>"These devices, says the company, 'include, but are not limited to,'
>>citizen-band radios, cellular telephones, transmitters that remotely
>>control devices such as toys, and portable compact disc players.
>
>Current opinions vary about how much EMI an avionics system is protected
>against, but 200 v/m is a typical number.  One would not expect the
>above devices to produce such levels.

Well, I just got back from Boston on a B757 (the first narrow-body aircraft I
have flown in that had an in-flight movie!), and this obnoxious ~9-year-old
kid was running his remote-control car down the aisles until a flight attendant
told him to put it away.  I wonder if it caused any interference in the cabin.
Certainly there was no attitude adjustment (and the kid sure could have used
one...), so it doesn't appear that it affects the controls.
--
-  Michael  weiss@seas.ucla.edu   |  School of Engineering & Applied Science  -