Re: Need info on the MD-11 pitch incident over Aleutians

From:         ditka!sgiblab!uunet.UU.NET!portal!shell.portal.com!stevep (Steven H Philipson)
Date:         06 May 93 03:21:44 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.362@ohareChicago.COM> m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer) writes:

>Hi.  I'm looking for more information on the MD-11 that apparently
>underwent an uncommanded pitch which resulted in a passenger being
>killed (got this from the ata-watchers mailing list).

   Aviation Week has reported on this twice.  Initially, CAT (clear
air turbulence) was suspected, but the more recent report mentioned
the possibility that there was an uncommanded extension of the wing
slats.  That's about the full extent of the published reports so far.
It will take at least 6 months for an NTSB report to be issued.  So
stya tuned, but don't hold your breath.

						Steve