Re: Tire burn-out during landings

From:         raveling@Unify.com (Paul Raveling)
Date:         05 Jan 93 00:24:07 PST

In article <airliners.1992.208@ohare.Chicago.COM>, barnett@convex.com (Paul Barnett) writes:
> In <airliners.1992.200@ohare.Chicago.COM> yarvin-norman@CS.YALE.EDU (Norman Yarvin) writes:
>
> >In any case, the practicality of preventing tires from disintegrating
> >depends on how fast tires presently disintegrate.  How much matter really is
> >there in that cloud of smoke?  Perhaps a gram per cubic meter of smoke?  And
> >how much tire is left on the runway?  Do they have to go out and scrape it
> >off now and then?  (I imagine not.)  Seems to me the loss of tire material
> >is negligible also.  Compared, that is, with the other costs of running the
> >airplane.

	Tires have to be replaced more often than I personally might have
	expected.  My dad says that the Western Airlines record for most
	landings between changing sets of tires was 283, and was held by
	a DC-10.  It would be interesting to know some statistics for
	mean replacement frequency and cost, which have doubtless changed
	some since he worked for Western.  With tire pressures of 190 psi
	and loading on the order of tens of thousands of pounds per tire,
	not counting forces at touchdown, it figures that they won't be cheap.

Paul Raveling
Raveling@Unify.com