How do I get close-up looks at commercial aircraft?

From:         libove@jerry.alf.dec.com (Jay Vassos-Libove)
Date:         04 May 93 11:22:56 PDT

[ I know this isn't exactly technical discussion, suited for
sci.aeronautics, but it seems like good meta-discussion for
those of us who desire to get more involved with the technical
details, but don't have direct access to the industry. -Jay ]

I'm interested in learning more about big aircraft (passenger
jets, the cargo versions used by e.g. Federal Express and UPS)...

How does one go about finding written and/or videotaped
information, without reading through thousands of pages of
technical journals, and without spending too much money?

Would it be possible to get close-up looks at the craft,
be able to walk around them, inside the non-passenger areas?
Talk to maintenance people, pilots, etc etc.

Thanks for your suggestions!
--

Jay Vassos-Libove                  libove@alf.dec.com
Digital Equipment Corporation      decwrl!alf.dec.com!libove