Re: Special Conditions for A340 released

From:         m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer)
Date:         03 May 93 11:00:19 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.377@ohareChicago.COM> inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson) writes:
>This sounds to me like an excellent argument in favor of an international
>certification board. All participating countries would agree that
>certification by this body would be acceptable within their borders. The US
>could have a team maybe 1/10 the size of the one the FAA uses, and the whole
>job could be done MUCH more efficiently. To certify a new plane, all the
>members would convene in the country the plane is being produced in, and if
>something was seriously awry making the plane unworthy in any given country,
>the nit would not be certified. 100% agreement shouldn't be too large a
>margin of safety, should it? Only after all countries agree that the plane
>can fly, can it fly. This has the benefit that it pressures the FAA to do
>it's job rather than the old paper shuffle.

But what if the French and German delegates decide to delay certification
of a Russian or U.S. design until Airbus can finish their competing model?
What if the U.S. delegate delays their certification of an Airbus until
Douglas can finish their MD-whatever?

There's already enough politics involved... although I agree with you
that there is a lot of wasted and duplicated effort, it doesn't seem
likely that any aerospace companies in ANY country will want foreigners
dictating whether or not their products can be used *in the country of
manufacture.*

Perhaps if 100% agreement wasn't required, the idea could still work.
That way, no one country would have "veto" power, and even if that one
country doesn't want to give its blessing it'd still be required to
accept the certification of the international body.

But do you think this is realistic?  Will the FAA agree that planes it
doesn't think should be flying in the United States can legally do so,
just because some majority of other countries think it is okay?  Do you
think other countries will do this either?

I guess I'm a bit too cynical...

Michael T. Palmer         |  "A man is crazy who writes a secret in any
m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov  |   other way than one which will conceal it
RIPEM key on server       |   from the vulgar." - Roger Bacon, 1220-1292