Overgross landing damage (was Re: Stall Warning Systems on Commercial Aircraft)

From:         greg@saltydog.dpsi.com (Gregory R. Travis)
Date:         03 May 93 11:00:12 PDT

In <airliners.1993.363@ohareChicago.COM> eeyore@dcs.qmw.ac.uk (Mark Anthony Brown;E200) writes:

>A recent crash (TriStar?) was attributed to a stuck angle of attack vane
>causing premature stick shaker at rotate - the a/c landed back on almost
>immediately grossly over max. landing weight and cracked the main spar.
>All survived, fortunately.

Do you have any references for this?  I am particularly interested in
where the spar cracked - L-1011s are fairly beefy birds.  I would
be particularly dismayed to learn that the spar cracked in the wing
box area!

Max landing weights are usually set by critera other than spar
strength; such as tire capacity and landing gear (and attachment)
strength.

I would think that a landing that cracked the main spar would have had
to have been pretty damn hard and it must have wiped out a lot of
other stuff as well.

(Ob hysterical comment:  Was on a United DC-10 out of SFO late last Thursday
evening.  Bad omen #1.  Had a premonition about DC-10 reliability as I boarded
the flight.  Bad omen #2.  Captain announced, shortly after takeoff, that there
was a "slight problem" but that the aircraft was well under control.  Bad
omen #3.  I heard a lot of flap movement subsequent - assume they had
a false flaps extended indication.  They decided not to return to SFO, but
rather continue onto Chicago.  I could think of nothing but a hydraulic fluid
streaked belly the whole flight)

greg
--
Gregory Reed Travis				D  P  S  I