Re: Special Conditions for A340 released

From:         inc@tc.fluke.COM (Gary Benson)
Date:         02 May 93 12:24:27 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.375@ohareChicago.COM> rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>The FAA finally got around to releasing its final set of certification
>requirements for the A340.  They are published in the Federal Register,
>56:71, of April 15, 1993, pp. 19553-19571.
>
>These are an official addendum to Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations,
>Federal Aviation Regulations Parts 21 and 25.  The A340 has to pass through
>these hoops before it can be certificated in the United States, despite the
>fact that the European joint airworthiness authority certified it last
>December.
>
>Robert Dorsett
>rdd@cactus.org
>...cs.utexas.edu!cactus.org!rdd

This sounds to me like an excellent argument in favor of an international
certification board. All participating countries would agree that
certification by this body would be acceptable within their borders. The US
could have a team maybe 1/10 the size of the one the FAA uses, and the whole
job could be done MUCH more efficiently. To certify a new plane, all the
members would convene in the country the plane is being produced in, and if
something was seriously awry making the plane unworthy in any given country,
the nit would not be certified. 100% agreement shouldn't be too large a
margin of safety, should it? Only after all countries agree that the plane
can fly, can it fly. This has the benefit that it pressures the FAA to do
it's job rather than the old paper shuffle.
--

Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.
                                                             -Eric Pepke