Need info on the MD-11 pitch incident over Aleutians

From:         m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov (Michael T. Palmer)
Date:         24 Apr 93 09:28:48 PDT

Hi.  I'm looking for more information on the MD-11 that apparently
underwent an uncommanded pitch which resulted in a passenger being
killed (got this from the ata-watchers mailing list).

I somehow missed this in the news, but I'd like to get the airline
and flight number, date, altitude, etc. and references to articles
in aviation magazines that I can look up.  Also, any information on
whether this was a simple hardware problem (short, malfunction), a
goof on the part of the flight crew (grabbed slat handle by mistake
while getting out of the seat), or a human/machine interface type
of problem (FMS/MCP interaction or autoflight mode misunderstanding).

Any info appreciated... either posted or emailed.

Michael T. Palmer         |  "A man is crazy who writes a secret in any
m.t.palmer@larc.nasa.gov  |   other way than one which will conceal it
RIPEM key on server       |   from the vulgar." - Roger Bacon, 1220-1292