Costs of operating an airliner/Mileage

From:         ngupta@mtl.mit.edu (Nitin Gupta)
Date:         24 Apr 93 09:28:46 PDT

My advisor and I were talking about aviation because he flies a lot and I
wish I did :-), and he gave a stat Lufthansa published that the optimal
"mileage" that a fully loaded 747 can attain is 80 miles/gallon/person. Is
this a reasonable number?

Also, take a 767 BOS-SFO flight. Assuming a packed flight, how much does
it cost to operate, including fuel, cost of the plane, pilots, staff,
landing fees, peanuts, etc. Therefore, how much does the company need in
total airfare to break even. How much does this come out to per person. Is
80 miles/gallon/person a reasonable "mileage".

We were basically wondering how the airlines make money.
Nitin Gupta                       MIT Submicron Structures Laboratory
ngupta@mtl.mit.edu       NeXT Mail Encouraged            617 253 0721