Re: Soviet Aircraft

From:         geoff@hawkesbury.uws.edu.au (Geoff Russell)
Date:         24 Apr 93 09:28:41 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.350@ohareChicago.COM> spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola) writes:

stuff deleted....
>> configurations available, but WHY DID THEIR DESIGNS
>> ALWAYS APPEARED AROUND OR AFTER THE SAME TIME FRAME AS
>> THIER WESTERN COUNTERPARTS FIRST CAME OUT?   Therefore, I
>> think that they borrowed some Western ideas and designed
>> their own planes that's why theirs differ in many ways
>> from the Western counterpart if you look into the
>> details; I have never implied that they "copied"
>> everything.  I admit that "plagiarize" is a strong word,
>> but I strongly believe that their designs had
>> significant Western influence.

I have read of the case of the Soviet designers obtaining three B-29's
during World War 2 and,presto, they appeared in large numbers as a Tupolev
something-or-other (I must look up the article - it was in Flypast magazine,
I think). The copy was so good that the Tupolev's even had a patch each
which was identical to a repair made on one of the B29's. Now before you
flame me, I know these are not airliners. I believe these details are
relevant to the current thread, though.