Soviet Aircraft (FINAL note)

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         20 Apr 93 15:29:01 PDT

Karl is right that without additional evidence, there is little more
to be said on this topic, but since I was accused of `blowing things
out of proportion' by making a comparison between the Tu-134 and the
DC-9, perhaps I may be permitted a final piece of evidence.

Here's a quote from _Flight International_'s Commercial Aircraft
Survey (21 Nov. 1968):

"The Tu-134 is the Soviet Union's short-range, medium-capacity jet.
It is copied from the BAC One-Eleven and the Douglas DC-9."

The survey also describes the Tu-144 as "Tupolev's copy of the
Anglo-French Concorde."

It is this broader perception of plagiarism that I was writing about,
rather than just to specific comments made in this group, although the
same perception was implicit in several of the posts (including the
original one that started the thread).  For example, one poster spoke
of

> ... flying on the Soviet versions of the 727 and DC-9 ...

While the discussion has not been conclusive, I believe it has been
interesting.  Many nuances of the process whereby airline designs
evolve were brought out, and I for one have an increased understanding
of that process.  Since all manufacturers draw from similar
technological `cookbooks' and often need to meet similar requirements,
it is not surprising that similar designs may emerge.  But clearly,
the choices made as to what particular `recipes' to use may well be
influenced by the choices made by other manufacturers.  In the case of
Soviet designs and in cases such as the Trident/727 controversy, the
distinction between `influence' and `copying' may ultimately be more a
semantic than a real difference.  I would only urge that the same
standards be applied in making that judgement whoever the
manufacturers involved might be.

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola@frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)