Re: Soviet Aircraft

From:         spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola)
Date:         16 Apr 93 00:31:42 PDT

> First of all, I have to reiterate that I do believe the
> Soviet designed their own planes but there was a lack of
> initial creativity.  True, there aren't that many
> configurations available, but WHY DID THEIR DESIGNS
> ALWAYS APPEARED AROUND OR AFTER THE SAME TIME FRAME AS
> THIER WESTERN COUNTERPARTS FIRST CAME OUT?   Therefore, I
> think that they borrowed some Western ideas and designed
> their own planes that's why theirs differ in many ways
> from the Western counterpart if you look into the
> details; I have never implied that they "copied"
> everything.  I admit that "plagiarize" is a strong word,
> but I strongly believe that their designs had
> significant Western influence.

At this point, it sounds like we disagree only in emphasis.  I
certainly wouldn't disagree that Soviet designers have been
influenced by Western designs, just as Western manufacturers have
been influenced by other Western manufacturers.  We can disagree on
exactly how much `influence' there was.

Ciao, Stefano
---
Stefano Pagiola
Food Research Institute, Stanford University
spagiola@frinext.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)
spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.stanford.edu (NeXTMail encouraged)