Re: Soviet Aircraft

From:         rdd@cactus.org (Robert Dorsett)
Date:         14 Apr 93 00:55:54 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.339@ohareChicago.COM> Michael Weiss writes:

>I can't see too many pros, aside from the one that led designers to put the
>engines on the tail in the first place, namely noise.

While noise is *a* consideration, placing the engines in the tail area
also simplifies airflow in and around the wings and the airplane aft of the
wing; provides near-centerline thrust, which makes engine-out procedures
simpler; permits a lower ground clearance, which can lead to savings in
gear design and lessens the possibility of foreign object damage; and offers
the possibility of larger nacelle/engine combinations to be used on a base
design.

I would suspect that cabin noise is more a secondary byproduct than a primary
consideration, and, more importantly, I would also suspect that the external
noise cone would be more bothersome with a higher-mounted engine than with a
low-mounted engine.  In the current political climate, the comfort of
the neighborhoods surrounding airports are probably rated higher than the
comfort of the passengers, when making such decisions.

As a personal note, as a passenger, I find the "average" noise of wing-
mounted engines to be much less irritating than the roar one gets sitting at
the back of a DC-9 or, to a lesser degree, a 727.  But it's all music to
my ears. :-)

---
Robert Dorsett
rdd@cactus.org