Re: Soviet Aircraft

From:         siddiqi@tab00.larc.nasa.gov (Shahid Siddiqi)
Date:         09 Apr 93 15:03:02 PDT

In article <airliners.1993.329@ohareChicago.COM> spagiola@FRI-nxt-Pagiola.Stanford.EDU (Stefano Pagiola) writes:
>Karl Swartz wrote:
>> [lots more deleted]
>
>Do you (or anybody) have any evidence to back this claim?  I am
>continually hearing that such and such Soviet airliner is a `copy' of
>that or the other Western airliner (Il-62/VC-10, Tu-134/DC-9,
>Tu-154/727, Tu-144/Concorde).  Why do we assume this?  Is the Boeing
>727 a `copy' of the British Trident?   Is the Boeing 767 a `copy' of
>the Airbus A300?  Are the DC-8 and CV-880/990 `copies' of the 707?

I think these were cold war propaganda biases -
the politically correct aeronautics viewpoint to
have up to now.  In the case of the TU-144 &
Concorde the record shows that the TU-144 first
flew about 4 or 5 months before the Concorde did.
The Concorde was a success operationally
(debatable economically) while the TU144 was not.
In my opinion one fo the reasons for this was that
the Soviets went out on the risk limb in engines
as well - they tried a small mixed burning cycle
enginge - it was a turbo fan while the concorde's
olympus engine is a turbojet. The Kuznetsov engine
I heard burned fuel in the fan stream as well as
the core. The engine gave them trouble.